east1999
May 3, 10:14 AM
Hey everyone,
I read most threads in this forum about overheating, but it turned out that's not at all a concern in a daily basis. What is a concern, however, is the instant fan noise whenever the laptop gets under load.
It is constant when running games (always at 6000 rpm). I've tried Call of Duty IV, and Starcraft II. Also Crysis II via Boot Camp.
It may happen under Facetime.
It may happen if you leave a flash animation running in a tab.
it may happen with AirVideo Server (serving to an iPod).
Turns out there's really no middle ground for this fan. It is either audible, or isn't. With 2000 rpm you know it's there, but frankly that's barely a concern. Sometimes it turns on suddenly and goes to maximum speed in seconds, stays there for a minute or two, then drops down.
So I guess that ANY heavy load will come with fan noise. Here's what I need to ask then.
- Is this a given for Sandy Bridge?
- Do you have this kind of noise in your C2D MacBooks (Air included)?
- Is it better when you have more fans involved (larger MBP's, iMacs..)?
Like I said, it hasn't been that much a concern for most uses, because they stay under the radar. The MBP gets hot but that's not even a problem. What I get is there is a clear threshold between what you can do (silently) and what produces noise. I stopped playing games because I really cannot do with that much noise. Turns out the GPU can roll with a lot of games, but I thought the noise wasn't included. Plus I'm afraid I'll damage the laptop if the fan is on for so long.
I'm thinking I'd rather have lower processing power and silent operation. I can take a longer iPhoto import if I don't hear this fan. Help?
I read most threads in this forum about overheating, but it turned out that's not at all a concern in a daily basis. What is a concern, however, is the instant fan noise whenever the laptop gets under load.
It is constant when running games (always at 6000 rpm). I've tried Call of Duty IV, and Starcraft II. Also Crysis II via Boot Camp.
It may happen under Facetime.
It may happen if you leave a flash animation running in a tab.
it may happen with AirVideo Server (serving to an iPod).
Turns out there's really no middle ground for this fan. It is either audible, or isn't. With 2000 rpm you know it's there, but frankly that's barely a concern. Sometimes it turns on suddenly and goes to maximum speed in seconds, stays there for a minute or two, then drops down.
So I guess that ANY heavy load will come with fan noise. Here's what I need to ask then.
- Is this a given for Sandy Bridge?
- Do you have this kind of noise in your C2D MacBooks (Air included)?
- Is it better when you have more fans involved (larger MBP's, iMacs..)?
Like I said, it hasn't been that much a concern for most uses, because they stay under the radar. The MBP gets hot but that's not even a problem. What I get is there is a clear threshold between what you can do (silently) and what produces noise. I stopped playing games because I really cannot do with that much noise. Turns out the GPU can roll with a lot of games, but I thought the noise wasn't included. Plus I'm afraid I'll damage the laptop if the fan is on for so long.
I'm thinking I'd rather have lower processing power and silent operation. I can take a longer iPhoto import if I don't hear this fan. Help?
Clix Pix
Dec 19, 12:59 PM
Only took two songs to convince me.... I immediately downloaded everything Katie Melua has available on iTunes and am enjoying her beautiful voice even as I type.... I wish her new album were on iTunes, too, but I can check the local music stores next time I'm there and pick up the actual CD.
Thank you for guiding me to this singer with the exquisite voice! :)
OTB
Thank you for guiding me to this singer with the exquisite voice! :)
OTB
AndrewR23
Apr 10, 08:01 PM
I need a case for my iPhone 4. I don't want it to be too bulky, and I don't need too much coverage.
Thanks!
apple bumper.
Thanks!
apple bumper.
Lacero
Mar 4, 11:32 PM
Does anyone really use Illustrator CS to it's abilities to create vector artwork on the scale of photographic portraits?
more...
alia
Jun 12, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by solvs
You know if there is a price change with-in a certain time period, you can be refunded the difference right? I though ti was 10 days, but I could be wrong.
Don't know if you're beyond the statute of limitations though.
You are right. Apple's policy is to refund the difference between what you paid and the new price if it's purchased within 10 days of the price change.
Alia
You know if there is a price change with-in a certain time period, you can be refunded the difference right? I though ti was 10 days, but I could be wrong.
Don't know if you're beyond the statute of limitations though.
You are right. Apple's policy is to refund the difference between what you paid and the new price if it's purchased within 10 days of the price change.
Alia
Shacklebolt
Mar 7, 12:42 PM
Whenever I've needed it, I've rented the D700 when I've needed a full frame, because how far away can Nikon's next prosumer full frame be?
The 5D Mark II came out YEARS ago at this point, which succeeded the 5D, which was the D700's first competitor.
Do we have any ideas/updates on this one?
The 5D Mark II came out YEARS ago at this point, which succeeded the 5D, which was the D700's first competitor.
Do we have any ideas/updates on this one?
more...
amacgenius
Oct 16, 08:48 PM
We'll be doing another entry tomorrow, and hopefully with better lighting and such, heck we might not even be in it ;).
mvc
Jun 15, 04:26 AM
I suggest you make some wild and unsubstantiated claims about Macs and PC's or something similar to get it started with a nice big flame-war.
How about one of these:
2.5ghz G5 is just an overclocked 2.0. Otherwise why would it need to be watercooled?
It's about time Apple made a Phone/PDA
Apple ought just get real and start using Intel/AMD and get their new cases redesigned by Alienware. OH and get some decent games...
That sort of thing ought to do nicely. ;)
How about one of these:
2.5ghz G5 is just an overclocked 2.0. Otherwise why would it need to be watercooled?
It's about time Apple made a Phone/PDA
Apple ought just get real and start using Intel/AMD and get their new cases redesigned by Alienware. OH and get some decent games...
That sort of thing ought to do nicely. ;)
more...
pcypert
Mar 22, 12:29 AM
GeOW is miserable for me single player...can't rely on computer intelligence and love having a friend to coordinate with. Some games I buy specifically for gameplay for me (obviously DS titles, etc). Some games I buy specifically because of coop with friends...like Fifa, Winning 11, etc. Rainbow 6 Vegas I bought just for live and to play with some friends back in the states...so it really just boils down to the game.
That said sometimes the coop can be an amazing value I wouldn't have thought of at first. Take GeOW...thought I'd be playing that by myself...turns out it's great for two. I love the added coop fun on Kameo..wouldn't have thought it'd be that way. Also Crackdown is a blast with coop, but wish it allowed two player in the house as well....
Paul
That said sometimes the coop can be an amazing value I wouldn't have thought of at first. Take GeOW...thought I'd be playing that by myself...turns out it's great for two. I love the added coop fun on Kameo..wouldn't have thought it'd be that way. Also Crackdown is a blast with coop, but wish it allowed two player in the house as well....
Paul
jav6454
Mar 31, 12:21 PM
Fox News looses viewers? I am not surprised...
>mon visage
>mon visage
more...
MrRoyksopp
Apr 14, 10:10 AM
Alright, thanks for the advice guys, it helped!
lordmac
Mar 8, 08:58 PM
Hey my fellow macrumors users I could use some advice. A couple of friends of mine just got the new pokemon game and its seriously making nostalgic for when I used to play back in the day (I was a serious player of the first 3 generations of the pokemon games, the ones for gameboy color and the first on for gba).
more...

Sarah Connor Chronicles)
![[image] sarah connor chronicles shoes. [image]](https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/blogger_img_proxy/AEn0k_uhovKj80CxToPBJlDUwrbh2rlpnGqVrrdygSNLxn2ldmH76LxM9cXhOa3VUYD0b1yASjSCLMb9DiA9Y3qhlhjBHW4oqgfEDmhtBewijI-D5CNd0xOOK7sUTGdUqf7F0VuZW5g0cMIKxFN_KqnyMh3MDBSOe7gKnErwHgocyE63AMAEofGCg7g3=s0-d)
[image]
more...

Terminator: The Sarah Connor

Terminator: Sarah Connor
more...

Sarah Connor(Terminator: The

Terminator: The Sarah Connor
more...
FFTT
Sep 22, 12:00 AM
I just order my new 250 GB Seagate SATA from Newegg this morning, it was on a 24 hour special for $109.50
It just blows my mind that we're getting down to around $0.50 per GB for these high quality drives.
Apple has been using Maxtor drives lately as stock units and I'm not sure how they'll hold up.
If I wasn't so damn broke I would have gotten a matched pair of Seagate 250's, but I need an extra GB of RAM first.
It just blows my mind that we're getting down to around $0.50 per GB for these high quality drives.
Apple has been using Maxtor drives lately as stock units and I'm not sure how they'll hold up.
If I wasn't so damn broke I would have gotten a matched pair of Seagate 250's, but I need an extra GB of RAM first.
stefmesman
Apr 16, 11:28 AM
i forsee,
lower prices?
thinner?
daisy chain thunderbolt
facetime HD
when...? hopefully end of summer.
lower prices?
thinner?
daisy chain thunderbolt
facetime HD
when...? hopefully end of summer.
more...
Cuddles
Dec 31, 04:08 PM
Ps3 has a crappy browser. I heard they may be updating it to something like firefox, but have nothing right now.
Sorry about the Netflix, that' a pretty big loss. Streaming media, I think, works better with xbox and windows.
Check out some ps3 games. Interested in any?
Sorry about the Netflix, that' a pretty big loss. Streaming media, I think, works better with xbox and windows.
Check out some ps3 games. Interested in any?
lexfuzo
Sep 23, 01:30 PM
1) The ongoing offer (open every day, a lot of stock) can be seen as a hidden price cut.
2) Clearing out stock may be a sign of updates coming... :rolleyes:
2) Clearing out stock may be a sign of updates coming... :rolleyes:
more...
InuNacho
Oct 3, 11:05 PM
The thing's toast now, keeps telling me that I don't have video in but it still runs audio in perfectly and the built in speakers no longer work.
Thanks for the help everyone, when I hit 250 posts I'll put this in the Marketplace and see if anyone wants it for parts or repair.
Thanks for the help everyone, when I hit 250 posts I'll put this in the Marketplace and see if anyone wants it for parts or repair.
katie ta achoo
Sep 24, 01:11 PM
he was recruited onto a team and they compete in international tournaments... according to him, the only proper gaming set up would use a CRT not an LCD. *shrugg* I'm quite ignorant in these matters though. :o

Sarah Connor Chronicles TV
Lacero
Dec 19, 01:38 AM
I love Katie Melua and her new album!
37163
Piece by Piece is the second album from this Georgia-born singer. If you've never heard her music, you should definitely give her a listen. Her voice is so hauntingly beautiful and immaculate. I get goosebumps listening to her sing. Anyway, I just love her, so this avatar is dedicated for her.
I've combined my two great loves, Katie Melua and Apple, and it's a play on words... literally!
37163
Piece by Piece is the second album from this Georgia-born singer. If you've never heard her music, you should definitely give her a listen. Her voice is so hauntingly beautiful and immaculate. I get goosebumps listening to her sing. Anyway, I just love her, so this avatar is dedicated for her.
I've combined my two great loves, Katie Melua and Apple, and it's a play on words... literally!
Old Tony
May 4, 02:45 AM
I don't believe that it was a mistake that u got the 16GB version, either. Keep that, he won't send you the right one.
I find it really sad that some people rely on such unfair methods to 'earn' the money from honest folks.
Don't send him the iPhone back, send him some brawlers ;)
I find it really sad that some people rely on such unfair methods to 'earn' the money from honest folks.
Don't send him the iPhone back, send him some brawlers ;)
rwilliams
Apr 20, 02:57 PM
I bought this immediately once I saw the sale price. I love djay on my MacBook, but I didn't want to spend $5 on the iPhone version, so I kept holding out for a sale. Thanks to Algoriddim.
Nishi100
May 6, 04:35 PM
No, it looks very awesome. Since there are no movies at 1440p there is no comparison though.
And your point is? Also: Never herd of this guy.
In 90% of what we say, does it have any point to it? You say, "Hello." What's the Point? You already know that you know them, and they know that you know them; therefore is there any point in saying hello, if you can just smile, showing you've acknowledged them. Also, the- ......OK, I won't go off on a rant.
...
When you make a mistake don't get down about it - laugh it off, it'll "lengthen our own life"; however, if you laugh at a person who made a mistake, you'll make them get down about it, therefore, "shortening their's." It also may be referring to suicide, but I haven't read the context - Hellhammer, Herdfan: if you feel you're about to commit suicide, DON'T listen to Adele. :)
Basically, don't laugh at other people's mistakes; both of them were innocent mistakes - there's no need to point them out - they know what they did, even if it's subconscious - we know what they mean.
And your point is? Also: Never herd of this guy.
In 90% of what we say, does it have any point to it? You say, "Hello." What's the Point? You already know that you know them, and they know that you know them; therefore is there any point in saying hello, if you can just smile, showing you've acknowledged them. Also, the- ......OK, I won't go off on a rant.
...
When you make a mistake don't get down about it - laugh it off, it'll "lengthen our own life"; however, if you laugh at a person who made a mistake, you'll make them get down about it, therefore, "shortening their's." It also may be referring to suicide, but I haven't read the context - Hellhammer, Herdfan: if you feel you're about to commit suicide, DON'T listen to Adele. :)
Basically, don't laugh at other people's mistakes; both of them were innocent mistakes - there's no need to point them out - they know what they did, even if it's subconscious - we know what they mean.
wchong
Jun 10, 09:22 AM
could anyone explain why there were two bridges?
Consultant
Apr 28, 10:54 AM
No problem with Snow Leopard here.
What software crashes.
Except I've had the same results on all the machines I've had that ran Snow Leopard.
MacBook Pro 2.33ghz Late 2006
MacBook Pro 13 2.26
Mac Mini 2.26
Mac Mini 2.4
MacBook Pro 2.66
It's been equally problematic on all of them.
Seems to be user problem. You probably have one piece of software that's causing the problem.
What software crashes.
Except I've had the same results on all the machines I've had that ran Snow Leopard.
MacBook Pro 2.33ghz Late 2006
MacBook Pro 13 2.26
Mac Mini 2.26
Mac Mini 2.4
MacBook Pro 2.66
It's been equally problematic on all of them.
Seems to be user problem. You probably have one piece of software that's causing the problem.
No comments:
Post a Comment